Thursday, October 27, 2011

Street Connectivity Matters!

One of the ideas I tried to get on the agenda was a complete the street grid network--that there were 'lost linkages' in the street network.

Mapping something unrelated today, something popped out to me. Check out the attached map. It shows the building value to land value ratio--a general indication of investment of disinvestment in a neighborhood. The pale area now circled in red struck me--low values, and a notable disconnected street network. I'm talking to another PhD student (Amir) about doing a formal network connectivity measure for the area, so see if the relationship is statistically valid, but I thought this was worth mentioning.

And if Salt Lake City feels like doing something to spur neighborhood reinvestment, 'formalizing' that street could be a cheap and efficient way to do so...

No comments:

Post a Comment

And your thoughts on the matter?